Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sabbatical plans

In a week I'll be leaving for a year of sabbatical. I will be based at Academia Sinica in Taipei, Taiwan. If you need to get in touch with me, email is probably the best option :-)





During September I will be in Benasque, Spain for a workshop on quantum decoherence. More photos. The last time I was in Benasque was the inagural summer for the Center. There was no building yet, so activities were held in a vacant elementary school. The tiny desks and chairs were piled up in one of the classrooms and new Ikea-like furniture was installed for us. It's nice to see that they've built a fancy facility now. Hopefully we'll have some good weather in the Pyrenees!




During October I will visit BGI (formerly Beijing Genomics Institute) in Shenzhen, China. I'll be involved in a project that I've been thinking about since I was a kid! What was science fiction then is just becoming possible today.



3 comments:

Max said...

Would you share what this project would be? Physicist and genomics? and since you were a kid?- you making me intrigued!

steve hsu said...

No direct physics angle. But I think I have a better way to find the subjects in the "high" group for the experiment mentioned below. I've done some calculations and the reach of this design will give it a good shot at real discoveries.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/27/AR2010062703639_2.html?sid=ST2010062800373

In January, BGI made the biggest purchase of genome sequencing equipment ever, buying 128 ultra-high-tech machines from California-based Illumina. With that one acquisition, BGI could very well surpass the entire gene-sequencing output of the United States.

Inside the 11-story facility, the vibe is pure Silicon Valley start-up: shorts, flip-flops, ankle bracelets, designer eyewear and a random tattoo. Zhao came to BGI on a summer internship last year to work on cucumbers. Now a full-time employee while continuing his studies, Zhao is turning his attention to a topic Western researchers have shied away from because of ethical worries: Zhao plans to study the genes of 1,000 of his best-performing classmates at a top high school in Beijing and compare them, he said, “with 1,000 normal kids.”

DogOfJustice said...

Yeah, they definitely want a better way to find subjects.

The initial BGI plan would have, among other things, yielded results overfitted to Chinese genotypes and filtered out some valuable forms of nonconformity.

Blog Archive

Labels